Four days following the latest legal setback for embattled Dancehall/Reggae superstar, Buju Banton, speculation once again arises regarding whether or not the prominent entertainer’s assets will be seized.
On Thursday, an appeal made on behalf of Buju Banton was dismissed in a United States Court of Appeals in Georgia, thus upholding the artiste’s conviction on drug-related charges as well as his subsequent 10 year prison sentence regarding said charges. The Atlanta-based Circuit Court not only upheld Buju’s convictions on conspiracy to distribute cocaine and aiding and abetting a person’s use of a telephone to facilitate a drug crime but also agreed with the jury regarding his initial conviction on a gun-related charge which was thrown out by the presiding judge in Buju’s trial during February of last year.
Over the last four days since the appeal decision was handed down, many have speculated whether or not the United States Government will attempt to seize the Grammy-winning singjay’s assets. However, Buju Banton’s lead attorney, David Oscar Markus quickly rubbished such a premise, intimating that the Government has no grounds to do so.
“There is absolutely no way that the Government can go after Buju’s remaining assets. The Government never alleged that Buju made any money off of this drug deal,” Markus told the Jamaica Observer.
“The government has never attempted to go after his assets, nor could they. This really is a non-issue…Buju is a Grammy-award winning musician who has worked hard for what he has.”
Meanwhile, Buju Banton refuses to give up the fight throughout this case as he plans to file for a new trial within the next 30 days. If granted, this would mark Buju’s third trial since his initial arrest in Florida during December 2009.
Prior to last year’s conviction, Buju Banton was the subject of a September 2010 trial in the same matter, which later ended in a hung jury.
Souce: Starlife Dancehall