Accomplished Reggae/Dancehall acts, Damian ‘Jr. Gong’ Marley, Mr. Vegas and Tarrus Riley are celebrating triumphs achieved at this year’s International Reggae and World Music Awards (IRAWMA) after each winning two honors during the show.
The event, which took place at the Coral Spring Centre for the Arts in Fort Lauderdale Saturday night was highlighted by the three men, who were the only Jamaican acts to take home multiple awards on the night. Marley took home Entertainer of the Year and Best Crossover Song for his chart-topping collaboration with Skrillex (Bun Dem). Riley copped the awards for Best Male Vocalist and Most Cultural/Educational Entertainer while Mr. Vegas won Best Song for Sweet Jamaica and Best Music Video for Bruk It Down.
Other notable winners included Stephen ‘Di Genius’ McGregor for Producer of the Year, Dean Fraser for Best Instrumentals, Mutaburuka for Best Poet/Spoken Words and Third World for Best Caribbean Entertainers. Below are the rest of Jamaican winners at IRAWMA 2013.
· Most Outstanding Show Band/Group – Morgan Heritage
· Best Album – Jimmy Cliff (Rebirth)
· Most Consistent Entertainer – Freddie McGregor
· Concert of The Year – Reggae Sumfest
· Marcus Garvey Humanitarian Award – Capleton
· Royal Ambassador of Reggae World Music – The Marley Family
· Special Honors – Donovan Germain (Penthouse Records CEO)
· Lifetime Achievement Awards/Hall of Fame – Black Uhuru (first Reggae Grammy winners), Inner Circle, Lloyd ‘Joe Frazier’ Campbell and the Hon. Edward Seaga.
READ MORE at EXAMINER.COM